Thursday, June 29, 2017

G.I.R.L Power Meets the Great Outdoors!!!


Wow! That’s my first reaction to my amazing experience this past week at Camp CEO! From June 21-24, myself and 12 other amazing female leaders across the state (and the country!) gathered at Camp Laurel in Lebanon with a group of incredible Girl Scouts from across the state for a relaxing and rewarding camp experience.

At Camp CEO, girls are able to have fun with traditional camp activities (CEOs, too), but they also take away business lessons, skills, and connections that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. At summer camp, girls have the opportunity to try new things, like stand up paddle boarding, archery, or horseback riding, but they also find their confidence or learn more about a passion or strength particular to themselves. They find out that these passions can be transferable in their future careers and, by the end of the weekend, break out of their shells having connected with wonderful and accomplished women leaders who help them realize their full potential.

Because it’s true—our Girl Scouts are G.I.R.L.s (Go-getters, Innovators, Risk-takers, and Leaders). At Girl Scouts, we are all about practicing everyday leadership, preparing girls to empower themselves, and promoting these G.I.R.L. experiences. At Camp CEO, girls and the CEOs learned about what it means to be a G.I.R.L. and how girls take the lead in everything that they do. They practice leadership with grit like a Go-getter, problem-solve and are creative like an Innovator, try new things and embrace new ideas like a Risk-taker, and show empathy like a Leader. 

After learning the true essence of G.I.R.L., our Camp CEO girls also learned the ins and outs of a business from the importance of building and maintaining your brand to finance and production and marketing for your startup business. Girls and CEOs were then separated into teams, and came up with their own unique business plans and strategies. Groups were tasked with creating their own T-shirt designs inspired by the G.I.R.L brand. Each team, in turn, created a comprehensive business plan for how they might market their “G.I.R.L-inspired” T-shirts. It was such an incredible experience to witness and see what all of the teams came up with. And each camper and CEO will receive their own team-inspired T-shirt, while versions of each girl-designed T-shirts will be available in our shops and camp trading posts this summer!

I’ve said it before, but every time I leave Camp CEO I find myself continuously amazed at how remarkable our girls are. They are so full of promise and hope for our futures, and I take more back than I can possibly give.

I hope everyone has a fun, safe, and relaxing summer. See you next year at Camp CEO!

Yours in Girl Scouting,




No comments:

Post a Comment