Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Conversation between a Girl Scout and her troop leader

National Volunteer Week is from April 23-29! On Sunday, we had a chance to say "thank you" to some of our amazing GSOFCT volunteers at our Annual Meeting

I wanted to share this heartwarming Q&A session between a Girl Scouts of Connecticut Troop Leader, Maria, and her daughter, Girl Scout Cadette Angelina, who is a true innovator and leader. This conversation is just one of thousands of examples as to why volunteers are truly the lifeblood of our organization, and without them, Girl Scouting, and our future women leaders, wouldn’t exist. Thank you, thank you, thank you!


Angelina, Girl Scout Cadette

How has your troop leader helped you in Girl Scouts?
My mom is a great troop leader. It is very inspiring for the girls in my troop to have such an amazing leader to look up to and relate to. I have a troop leader who is loving, caring, generous, creative, and a role-model for every girl. My mom's advice will help me become the best person I can be in the future. As a troop leader, she also rubs off on the other girls as well. My mom shows girls that they are capable off almost anything. When I feel insecure about myself, I always turn to my troop leader for advice.


What is your favorite program/activity in Girl Scouts?
My favorite Girl Scout programs are the camping programs and the STEM program. I love science so much. However, sometimes girls in the STEM field don't get taken seriously. I like the STEM programs because I get to see girls who like science like me. It is so inspiring because you see young women that do what they love, even if it may get difficult sometimes. I also enjoy Girl Scout resident camp at Camp Laurel! Resident Camp is a great opportunity for girls. I made so many memories and had a great time. I love camp so much that I want to train to be a counselor. The best part of camp is survival and boating. The counselors are also very nice. This is an experience many girls miss out on, so I am glad Girl Scouts offers this to me.

What would you tell a younger girl who is interested in joining Girl Scouts?
I would tell her to go for it. Girl Scouts is a great opportunity for all girls, no matter your race or your background. Girl Scouts has changed me a lot. I have more friends and much more confidence. Girl Scouts taught me what true feminism means and that girls can do anything. I know now how to help my community. I also know great skills that will help me later on in life. I now have confidence and courage, knowledge and advice, and a lot of memories from Girl Scouts. With Girl Scouts, I can help all girls around the world.


Maria, Girl Scout Volunteer


Why do you like volunteering for Girl Scouts?

I love to be a volunteer for Girl Scouts because I see the impact of the program on my troop girls every year. We accomplished so much together. The girls learn to set goals, and to work as a team. They support each other, and we truly feel like a big family. I love that Girl Scouts allows girls to be girls; there is no judgment and no pressure to be anyone but yourself. It is a safe and supportive environment for girls to grow. As a volunteer, I feel supported by a network of leaders and Girl Scouts staff who always teach me how to be a better volunteer. I made so many amazing friends in this program. I also learn so much about myself from being involved with the organization. I can honestly say I am a better person because of volunteering with Girl Scouts.

Why should adults volunteer for Girl Scouts?
Adults should volunteer for Girl Scouts because this organization has been improving the lives of girls for over 105 years. As a volunteer, you are fully supported to do the best work you can in order to help girls. You feel the impact of working with your troop girls with every stage of the program, from the earliest years when the girls are soaking all the information you can give them, to the later years when you actually see your girls deciding on projects and helping the community by taking leadership roles, and making a difference. It is a humbling and amazing experience to have such a positive impact on the future generation of girls. You also become part of the big Girl Scouts family!

What is your favorite Girl Scout memory as a troop leader?
My favorite Girl Scouts memory is from a Science Camporee I attended with my troop of nine girls. It happened to be a really hot weekend for a Camporee, and I was concerned about dealing with the elements with a group of young girls. My troop was so amazing! We came up with a plan to try to beat the heat by taking lots of water breaks throughout the day, and checking on each other to make sure we were all enjoying the activities. Not only did we survive the hottest Camporee ever, but my girls were always getting feedback from the volunteers working there that they were polite and respectful. I felt the impact of our teamwork that day.


What an incredible conversation!

What are your special moments as a Girl Scout or a Girl Scout volunteer?  I know, like Angelina and Maria, you will cherish them forever.  As a volunteer, you are a gift to all girls! A very Happy National Volunteer Week to our wonderful volunteers.

Yours in Girl Scouting,






No comments:

Post a Comment